Some activities that can be included in
day to day life
You don’t have to set aside lots of extra time to work walking into your busy schedule. Here are some ways to add more steps each day:
- Take a walk with your spouse, child, or friend
- Walk the dog
- Better yet, walk to the store.
- Get up to change the channel.
- Do a little gardening
- Window shop
- Walk over to visit a neighbour.
- Playing with kids is good way to add some fitness and it’s fun too.
- Walk while you talk :-walk while you chat on your cell phones.
- For the ones with desk jobs-choose the desk farthest from the printer and loo.
- Try skipping rope or on-the-spot jogging (during a TV commercial break)
- Shun the elevator. Take the stairs. These more challenging steps will help to build muscle too.
- Park farther away. You can add hundreds of steps each day by parking farther from (rather than closer to) entrances.
- Clean your house, Housework is a fantastic form of exercise! Get the kids involved and challenge them to see who can finish their tasks first.
- Go for a family cycle ride on a Saturday morning.
- On the weekends, try something adventurous like hiking,indoor rock-climbing, paddle boarding or bushwalking.
- Get involved in the kids’ team sports. There are many ways for parents to get involved from coaching to bringing healthy snacks.
- Join your local soccer, netball or tennis club and practice your skills together as a family.
- A day trip to a zoo, aquarium, fun park or museum is not only great fun, but will also guarantee your family a solid day of walking (great for your heart’s health)
- And the last one which is my favourite - Don’t Stand Around.It sounds dumb but it’s true!like standing in place waiting for a kid to get done with something, like tying his shoe or waiting for the bus or you in the kitchen chopping vegetables? March in place while you slice and dice or do leg raises. A great way to burn calories atleast a few.
So with so many ideas are you still thinking or waiting for tommorrow...START START NOW.
Mrs Shilpa Mittal
Nutritionist and Diet Consultant
Founder Shilpsnutrilife - Diet and lifestylemakeover