Navratri Specials (Food Eaten During Navratri)
With the onset of Navratras, it's again the time to fast. "Instead of fasting, most of us end up feasting on high-calorie food. A lot of people who have just one meal a day tend to overeat. If one eats one heavy meal in the entire day, it doesn't get converted into energy instantly but accumulates as fat in the body,'' For those who fast all nine days, it is important to eat small meals at regular intervals.
1.No onion and garlic are used in the food during nine days
2. No chemical salt but only rock salt is used
3. Spices used are red chillies, cumin, black jeera, turmeric, choti elachi, saboot kali mirchi, khuskhus and water melon seeds
4. Fresh coriander, green chillies and ginger are used
5. Fruits, nuts, dry fruits, coconut, makhanna can be used
6. Milk products like milk, yoghurt, cream and paneer are used
7. Flours used are -- Singhare ka atta, kottu ka atta, rajgiri ka atta, saboodana arrowroot and samak
8.Limited amounts of oil and ghee can be used to cook food
9. Vegetables used are – potatoes, raw papaya, sweet potato,bhopla,arbi,raw banana
10.One should drink lots of water, coconut water, lemon water, herbal tea to keep the body hydrated.