Bael or wood apple is also known as Elephad Bengal Quince. It gets its name of wood apple due to the hard cover.It is native to India.
It is an excellent summer cooler. The juice is very soothing and a great medicine for heatstroke. It cools down the body and the stomach, and helps preventing heat exhaustion in summer season.
Bael fruit is a storehouse of good health nutrition and is a energy booster.
Packed with protein, phosphorus, Vitamin C and B complex thiamine and riboflavin and tannin it strengthens the heart and mind.
It cures acidity, increases body resistance and improve the memory.
It also cures ulcers and gastric disorders, treats acidity, burning sensation in the stomach and nausea, cleans the stomach of impurities and also cures amoebiasis.
A good source of beta-carotene, Bael also cure liver problems.
Here is how to make Bel Ka Sherbat
- Bel (wood apple) 1 medium size
- Sugar 2-3 tsp (according to your taste)
- Cumin Powder 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Black Salt 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Water 2 cups
- Break open the bel and take out the pulp with a spoon
- Soak the pulp in water for 2-3 hours (or cook the pulp in 3 cups of water for 15 minutes)
- Strain it
- Add sugar, black salt and cumin powder into the strained juice and mix well
- Serve chilled with ice cubes.