Importance of nutrition in pregnancy
Nutrition prior to, during, and immediately following pregnancy is more important than at any other time in life. There is a definite relationship between a baby’s development during pregnancy and his/her lifelong health and the quality of the mother’s diet during pregnancy.
- Meet increased nutrient demands
- Provide needed energy
- Prevent or minimize common pregnancy related problems
- Reduce risk of birth defects
- Supply needed nutrients for baby’s growth
- Ensure healthy birth weightMaintain a healthy weight